Monday 10 December 2012

Heros


Super heros can be summed up by men in tights fighting crime and often portrayed, strangely enough, as idyllic. I like to see super heroes as a mock to society, as if this single, unique figure with extraordinary powers can solve our day to day problems with special laser vision or flying abilities.  As incredible as having super powers may be, I'd say there are very few abilities introduced by DC Comics which would make a difference in the real world.
Nothing is super about superheroes. They dress in funny suits. They flaunt around their powers. They impress. They don't solve problems. In real life, there is no fighter of good to help us from our issues. Because in reality the real danger in our lives is ourselves; we're these little bundles of emotion that constantly change the way we perform, the way we behave, the way we live. If I were a super hero, my special ability would be reading emotions and absorbing them. I'd grab onto all the negative feelings that build up in the human soul and switch them, leaving only the positive emotions!
As a student  I guess I should have chosen to be telepathic instead so I could know the answers to tests or what my teachers are thinking. So while sucking someone's emotions may seem  not very useful, I will heartily argue that it would be much more beneficial than knowing the answers on a test.
You see, we are beings of complex feelings and unfortunately, most of them are negative. We feel vengeance,anguish, hatred, and most of all sadness. We start wars based on what we feel. But we produce positive contributions based on our feelings too. We learn better based on how high our confidence is. We function on our emotions and our emotions have highs and lows. But what if they could be channeled? What if the pain over a failure could be mended, if the umbrage against another could be cleansed, if the human soul could be healed, would the world be a better place? 

If  racism could be wiped away, if the anger that lies in war could be placed to rest, if the world could be relieved of pent up resentments, could that not make us all progress as a people, as human beings? I believe so. The world is a terrible frenzy  because of what we feel and because of how we feel it. I'd help those in pain and cure those who inflict pain. To put an end to resentment and insecurity, I'd use that empathetic ability. I'd shed light on people's past and brighten their future one person at a time.




-Hunter Prall

No comments:

Post a Comment